Thursday, December 9, 2010

Introducing Anne Buchal

I have always been involved with the visual arts,  in my education and later commercially.  Working with fiber to create artwork is a distinct departure for me. I have maintained a Studio in the Torpedo Factory, located on Alexandria, VA, for many years. Being in the building offers one many opportunities to explore various media. During my time there I’ve learned lithography and etching, worked with silver and aluminum to make jewelry, and now devote most of my time to fiber sculpture.

The subject matter of this work derives from classic myths and children’s literature. One could say there are two narratives present: the one which is drawn upon to serve as subject and the other which reflects the thoughts of the artist. These stories are familiar to most people; it is gratifying to see that they often recognize the idea which prompted the work and find it easy to relate to.  The piece below is Mother Goose.


No comments:

Post a Comment