Friday, December 3, 2010

Introducing Ann Liddle

Each week for the next six weeks one of the group will introduce herself. We'll talk a little about our backgrounds and experience. But mostly we'll show examples of our work.

My name is Ann Liddle. I've been working as a studio artist for the past 15 years. Before that I had worked for the federal government for 25 years. I have not had formal art education except for occasional classes and workshops but I have been artistic my whole life. My parents were artists and seeing and doing art was part of growing up. During my working life, I was always sketching (usually not at work!). I also did a lot of sewing and made most of my clothes. My first plan upon retirement was to design and make clothes. I did that exclusively for a short period and still design and make clothes for sale when the spirit moves me. But I very quickly became interested in sculpture using fiber materials and techniques. I've used many techniques and materials over the years. I try something for a while and then move onto something else. I frequently come back to an earlier material or technique but in a different way.

Some of my favorite pieces were from the Body Part Series. The piece below is from 2007. The Conversation is crocheted, stiffened, and painted. I also sometimes added encaustic and oil paint.


Another series is embroidered pieces.  Shapes and Shadows is hand stitched "shadows" on painted canvas.


Body is another of my embroidered pieces.  For it, I windowed different parts of the body and embroidered small squares.  These can be displayed as they would appear in a  body (as shown) or in a line - and let people guess what the body is like.


As a group we decided to work on a them called "Personal Demons".  I did six pieces, one of which is Who will get my things?  Who will Care?



I have more recent images to post but right now I am totally frustrated with Blogger.  It won't let me easily insert images.  I have to sign out and then sign in to insert each image.  It's a mess!  I had no problem when I started the blog and did the post on Nov 2.  It was a piece of cake!  I have no idea what has happened since then.  I will try again tomorrow.


 

No comments:

Post a Comment