Saturday, June 15, 2013

Stripes revisited by Ann Liddle

Last year, I made a series of large striped, brightly colored pieces for my featured artist show at the Workhouse Arts Center in Lorton, VA. (See and earlier blog for images.) This year, the deadline is looming - it's August - and I'm just beginning to make the new work.  For another project, I have to make a black and white piece that is no larger than 12" x 12".  So I thought I'd combine it with the effort and make all black and white striped pieces.

I will start with 12" x 12" squares of stripes - painted canvas, cut and sewn into striped squares.  Then I'll make the final pieces by cutting shapes and rearranging them and resewing.  I'll do it all on paper first to be sure I like the results.  I've designed 4 square pieces so far and have cut and resewn one of them.  Here are the remaining squares (the lower right is not the same as the others and will be for a different purpose).  You can't see the black edges against the black background.


Here is the first reassembled piece.  It now measures about 30" x 12" so it's kind of amazing that is came from only a 12" x 12" square.


These are much smaller than last year's strips so I may make more of them.  I also plan to make some clothing that relates to the pieces for the same exhibit. Maybe some interesting angles and some stripes.  No photos of those yet because they are still in my head.

Meanwhile, I need to make  3 or 4 new clothing pieces for a fashion show at the workhouse NEXT WEEK. I've painted some fabric in squiggles with textile paint.  I hope to do a couple more colors.  And then sew like crazy.  No photos right now but I will post them when they are done.

No comments:

Post a Comment