Monday, October 29, 2012

Slow progress - Maria Simonsson

I continue to work on my map quilts for our show in Pennsylvania next year. It is such slow going! I am now at the quilting stage for the first quilt, the winter scene. I have not quilted in years, so it feels like I am re-inventing the technique, and possibly I am inventing my own version of it. Experienced quilters may cringe when they see me do it. I like the results, however. I am considering taking a basic quilting class, to brush up on technique. Why go through the agony of re-inventing if you can learn from the truly experienced? I am also thinking of joining a couple of quilting guilds. I feel more quilts in my future!

Here is a picture of the quilt, almost finished.


I imagine this image as a birds-eye view of a small Russian village after a heavy snow fall. There is a frozen stream running to the left of the village in the image and a couple of carriage paths crossing through the village.
Outside the village there is a hill (upper right), fields (upper left and lower right) and a meadow with trees (lower left).

Here are some closeups:


The village


Village detail


Plowed fields and some snowy trees


Trees between the stream and the meadow.
They are not beads but French knots, lots and lots.
Takes forever.
Good thing I have some interesting audio books to listen to.

When I started this project I was listening to a couple of classic Russian novels. First Anna Karenina and then The Brothers Karamazov, hence the Russian village imagery.









No comments:

Post a Comment