Saturday, October 6, 2012

Painting on the Porch -- Beth Latture

When the weather is nice I love to work on the screened porch.  Over the past couple of months I've been working on a painting for the Mapping theme that FINE is working on.

I started with a large canvas with a yellow underpainting, then created a "beltway-like" map by masking and sponging over with a magenta paint.



Once I had the structure in place I started filling in the map with color blocks


and then began some patterning within the blocks.


Since I am painting, I'm definitely in the "Nearly" category of our group name - Fiber in Nearly Everything.  However, I find that the techniques that I use - either in painting or fiber - are usually very similar in that they consist of a meditative repetition of stitches or marks.


This is a work in progress with the goal of creating a map-like image from familiar forms and patterns.  The other goal is to enjoy the pleasant days on the porch, painting and listening to music, with my loyal companion Daisy.

No comments:

Post a Comment