Monday, November 19, 2012

New Direction - Ann Liddle

Last time I wrote, I was trying to figure out what to do for my featured artist show at the Workhouse Arts Center in Lorton, VA in December.  I had de-stuffed the crocheted bodies I made years ago and thought I'd work with them.  But inspiration was not forthcoming.  I decided on a new direction - stripes.

I was interested in trying spray paint on canvas and then working with that as cloth.  I sprayed 11 yards of canvas, each a different color.  Then I worked out stripe designs on paper with colored pencil, cut the canvas, sewed the stripes.  This resulted in rectangular striped pieces each about 22" x 30".  I then cut each piece up and reassembled it in very different ways.  (I worked these out on paper as well before cutting.)  Sometimes, I added striped inserts.  I wish I would have taken pictures of the rectangular version before I cut them up.  But I didn't so all I have are the final results.  Here they are.  The show is called Stripes Reinterpreted.


Forest Stream.



Morning 



 Nightfall



On Balance



Fall



Rock Face



Spring


1 comment:

  1. Ann- These are really great! Just some questions...How large are they? Also, are they backed with something (i.e. how are you hanging them)? When is your show?--Julie

    ReplyDelete