Thursday, March 31, 2011

Julie Booth: Working with Flour Paste Resist


 I’ve been busy in the kitchen and in the studio. In 2010, I won the Margaret Conant Grant from Potomac Fiber Arts Guild for my proposal, “Kitchen Resists: Surface Design Techniques Using Resists and Masks Made from Common Household Materials”. Recently, I’ve been having fun playing with a variety of flour paste resists. The photos here are before and after removing an uncooked wheat flour paste resist applied with carved linoleum and moldable foam blocks. I was very pleased that the resist held up so well, especially the details in the African face. I am finding out a lot about what each resist material can and cannot do. I hope to develop a vocabulary of techniques utilizing different resists that I can draw upon to use in creating future artwork.

Uncooked wheat flour paste resist applied with print blocks and painted with fabric paints
Fabric after wheat flour paste resist removed


Fabric detail

No comments:

Post a Comment