Saturday, June 15, 2013

Dilemma/Decisions by Anne Buchal

I last wrote about the mess in my studio; the fact that I went public with that disorder prompted the decision to vacate that studio where I had “lived” for the past 10 years. The Torpedo Factory has been a second home for more than 30 years. It has provided me with a place to indulge myself experimenting with a variety of media and it is where I met the women who form our group of fiber artists.

Although I kept a sewing machine and a cabinet of threads, cloth and notions in the studio, I also made space for paint, paper, metal etc. I took classes held in the building that provided the inspiration to experiment and broadened my appreciation of other visual arts.

Life at home seems another world away. It is a solitary life and though artists are thought to be people who must create in solitude in order to be considered "serious," I find that this is probably not true – a stimulus is needed. There has to be an effort to go downtown to a museum, look at books, read poetry. There are no pubs in my neighborhood – or any place to go to engage in spirited conversation. I’m completely incompetent using a computer in spite of the fact that it has become a fact of life and may be the only means open for me to continue to express myself! Proof of this is the fact that this piece must be posted by a friend.


No comments:

Post a Comment