Saturday, March 2, 2013

Beth Latture - A Clean Slate

A wonderful thing happened last week:

I cleared off my work table.

When I saw the clean surface of the studio table I felt lighter.  I went from the dread and paralysis that a cluttered studio had been causing me and had a new urge to create something.  A space for new possibilities now exists.

Coinciding with this new lightness of being was the meeting with the other FINE artists and our curator Trudy.  Our new challenge is an unusual one - bring in work (2 or more pieces) that you never finished, abandoned or just wanted out of your space and mind.  Trudy then reassigned these "orphans" to another artist in the group to have her way with.

Here are my new inspiring materials:



I will be using two of Anne Buchal's soft sculptures.  I'm excited by this project and also a little sad to dismember her work.  I love the playfulness and mythological stories that she combines in these pieces.  The female figure is Lachesis - one of the 3 Fates - the one who measures the thread of life.  I have no idea what this hybrid animal is, but that snake tail is speaking to me....

Stay tuned as the artworks freed by our fellow members go on to live new and different lives!

No comments:

Post a Comment