Thursday, December 13, 2012

Maria Simonsson - Rusting

I am working on a project about and with iron. It has been developing in my mind for quite some time.
I come from a region of Sweden where there has been iron industry, or at least iron production for over a thousand years. You can say iron is in my blood.

Apart from loving rusty things, like old nails, I find iron fascinating. It's an important building block of our universe as well as our bodies. So far my explorations have resulted in a collection of rusty iron things and a pile of rusted fabrics. And some jotted notes to follow up on.

I will show you some of the fabrics for now.



Here is a piece of cotton fabric that was previously rusted with reebar in a grid pattern.
Now I have added washers and some nuts.

Here is a close up

And here is the result
Not very sharp rust marks. I didn't immerse the fabric in the vinegar/water mixture. Just spritzed it daily for about a week.

Here is another one
Before

and after

This piece of fabric was wrapped around a reebar rod and tied in place with thin wire that also rusted.
It gives a shibori effect.

And finally a piece where the washers on the fabric actually acted more like resist than rusting agent.
Always surprises.







1 comment:

  1. Such wonderful rustings you achieved Maria! I'm very interested to see how you use these. That was the hardest part for me...figuring out what to do with all my rusty fabrics. Good luck!

    ReplyDelete